Monday, September 22, 2014

What motivates you

Aloha again from Kapolei.

Well another week is down. The baptisms we have are still on AND scheduled for Saturday! One at 9 and another at 4:30. We should be kept busy for most of the day. Much to do in prepping the font and rooms etc.

Most of this last week, a lot of us were sick. I got a little sick on Monday, but it was mostly Elders' Nielsen and Baker. They had plenty of drugs and stuff to take care of themselves, but they were out for most of Tuesday. We had a couple appointments that day, so I went with a member in the ward to cover them. Wednesday was more or less the same thing. Sooooo not tons of lessons this week, but still enough to hit our zone's goals. We set goals, and President Warner said that if we hit the goals, he would allow our zone to come over on the Sunday morning session of conference, and have a breakfast at the mission home. So we'll probably be getting some pancakes soon then. Great stuff!

Also on Wednesday, we had our interviews with president. Mine was alright. I only have one more interview with president before the end of my mission now. I told him of my desire to see the Kiaha family, and he said he'll see what he can do. He did say that this is going to be my last transfer in this area. I told him that I want to be finishing my mission the strongest to which he agreed, and wants the same. He did bring up the idea of me training again, so we'll see what happens there. After the interview, Sister Warner had some game for us. A kind of competition. She had all the lesson principles printed out on strips of paper and all the lessons. She timed us to see who could put all the points down in order. I think she said I had the fastest time (something like 2:30ish). After the game I played on the organ, while the other companions were being interviewed. 

We are meeting with our recent convert now a little more often. He still has a lot of questions. We'll be trying to go over a point and he will cut us off to ask a question. It's a good thing that he wants to ask questions though. So many people just sit there in silence and smile and nod. I wish more people were interactive in the lessons like he has been. It's funny though, because some of his questions are so off topic and it takes a while for us to get back to what we were talking about. In total, it probably took us 2 or 3 hours to get through the restoration (two different lessons) because of how many things he brings up. 

The Makaha Ward had a campout on a beach close by. The park (Kea'au Beach Park) is nearby. So naturally we missionaries showed up for some food. We had already eaten, so we weren't too hungry, but of course there is always room for dessert! They had made scones and honey butter. I think I ate at least 3. The members camped over-night from Friday to Saturday,you would have loved it there mom.

Saturday, the zone leaders called us up in the morning and asked if we could come to a baptism in Makakilo. Somebody needed a pianist (that's me). I basically sight read the music for the musical number (went through it once before the service started). Afterwards, they had 'choke' snacks and goodies. Some turkey wraps, grapes, chocolate bars, pound cake, cookies, and juice. So naturally we took some home. haha

Sunday was another Sunday. Spending time at church from 8 to 3 makes for a looooong day. We had a few investigators come to church, which is always nice to see. One of the families asked if we could participate in blessing their little children, in this case we were blessing a 9 and 4 year old. We did that in the bishop's office. The four year old was having a little trouble sitting still, but he's funny. Nice kid. Dinner was with a half-white family! The dad had served a mission in Hawaii, then he came back and married a girl from here, though their kids look super ha'ole.  One kid told me that he would never dream of not eating the food somebody had made while he was at their home. I told him as missionaries we eat everything out of respect regardless if we like it or not.  Even if I don't like it, most of the time I just force it down, or eat it quickly. Especially at a Polynesian home, they expect you to eat. EVERYTHING!  But I don't really think about that kind of stuff anymore. I just eat. haha

This morning we went on a short hike (10 miles) on Mount Lahilahi. A little thing in Makaha. I've been there before, so you should already have pictures. 

To answer your question again, our mission was notified that the earliest we would receive iPads would be in October, but (and quite possibly) before the end of the year. President Warner said he hasn't received anything notifying him when that would happen. 

I feel like I'm down today honestly. I'm not really even sure why. Maybe I just a lot of things going through my mind that was happened yesterday. One member was almost arguing with me - telling me that my thoughts were skewed because I am of the opinion that the motivation for keeping commandments should not be to receive blessings. I think it's pretty pathetic and petty if we expect to get blessings because we are living righteously. I don't think we can expect any more blessing than the next person, and we certainly shouldn't think that we are better off  because we live better. Of course righteousness and faithfulness is essential if we want to have a blessed life, but that shouldn't be our motivation. The reason we follow commandments is that we have faith in God, and we know that He knows best. We act, because we want to follow God, not because we look forward to the reward.  He had such a materialistic point of view. Anyways, I was kinda disappointed when I brought that thought up in our class, and the member basically said I was wrong. Some other little things are annoying me too. I feel like I can never really focus on things the way some other people do. I get so sidetracked - so easily, and five seconds is enough to get me distracted (and not paying attention). Like hearing a song - I feel as if I can never really learn the lyrics (and half the time I can't even understand them), when some people are blessed to get it all down after hearing it once or twice. I kinda get down on myself for having to always ask people why we are doing something, or where we are going, when I would have known had I been paying attention. Oh well, maybe that's just me, and how I think. 

But life is good. I'm doing alright. Nothing really to complain about. I hope you are doing well. Much love!

Elder Nitta

No comments:

Post a Comment