Monday, June 2, 2014

New Area - New Didication!



I thought I told you that I'm with Elder Saunders again. Maybe I didn't. But he's from Vale, Oregon. He's been out on the mission for about 6 months now. I was his trainer in Honolulu, but only for one transfer. So they have given me another chance to do a better training job haha. But I feel like I figure you know everything about my life without me having to tell you about it.

I think this area is one of the most run down areas I've been in this far. Maui was more of an ‘old local person’ town, with a few young-couple’s that move-in every once in a while. Honolulu was strictly an old person town, for people who lived there for like 50 years (in the same house). Near where all the tourists go. Hilo was more of a well-off area. Hilo was spread out and had nicer homes. Here in Makaha it is just the less well-off . There are plenty of duplexes and apartments here. (Not bad though)  They usually keep the sisters in the nicer areas here in this mission – in the more affluent Ward’s. There aren't really any gangs here. We just hear police cars a lot more frequently :)

It's nice to hear that at least one person wants to wait until I get home to make a significant change and commitment. You can tell Logan thanks for that!

I feel that I've almost gone downhill with my teaching ability - I remember in the beginning of my mission how I felt like I was doing great with teaching and being inspired, but now I feel that just going through the motions has gotten me almost insensitive to the promptings of the Spirit. There were a couple of lessons this week that I felt that I was lacking in. Just one thing I'm trying to work out now. I figure that I need to rededicate myself to doing all the things as I was doing them in the beginning of the mission..

This week has been a little slower than others. We didn't get quite as many lessons as we were shooting for. Only like 14 or so. But we are trying to kickstart the area again. Restarting by going through the whole Ward list, making sure to visit with everybody on it. Just finding people home is the hard part. We were trying to find some of the members this week and ran into a lady that had once upon a time met with missionaries. She invited us to come back again, so we plan to go this next weekend.

Zone Conference was this last Tuesday. President Warner talked about how to introduce the Book of Mormon, and how we can be more obedient. We joined up with the Waipahu stake missionaries (the next zone over). There were a lot of missionaries that I've known, who gave their dying testimonies (the testimony you give at your last Zone Conference). One sister that came out a transfer before me gave hers. So the sister’s that came out with me are almost pau (finished). One of the old APs gave his too, as well as another missionary that was with me on the big island. They asked me to play the piano for the hymns, but nobody could find a single hymn book in the chapel!  This is where I knew not having memorized Hymns would haunt me… Missionaries were running around and couldn't find one anywhere, so Sister Warner held one of those tiny printed copies so I could play. I also played the Aloha Oe for the missionaries that are going home. Always fun.

That day, we got back to our area at about 5:30,  just in time to head to dinner. There's one family here that is super nice about feeding us. Well, it's just a brother in the Ward and his girlfriend, but he's super good at cooking and always has great food for us. This last time, we had Korean Chicken and rice with lemon bars for dessert. Before we had some katsu curry. I think they sent a picture to you of us helping them cook the chicken yesterday.

At Church, the Ward pianist didn't show up, and the back up pianist was flying back from LA, so they asked me to play. So I got on the super old breaking apart organ (that never gets used) and played the music for our Sacrament Meeting. Most of the members were kinda in shock because they hadn’t heard the organ used in so long. I made some mistakes, but it was fun being able to play (and sight read) the music. No one showed up to our gospel principles class. Apparently our investigators graduated to go to Gospel doctrine. Haha but the teacher was really ecstatic and excited about going to the doctrine class.

Our lessons this week were okay. We were teaching this one family this last week, and we were trying to emphasize the need for them to commit to baptism. They have been investigating the Church for something like 3 years now, and have never come to Church. We had a couple of members there with us, and they shared their testimonies about how their baptisms were so uplifting. The mom of the family agreed that she wanted to do more and commit, but her work schedule is conflicting with Church. So we are praying for her to be able to change around her schedule to allow her to come to Church.

Another family we are trying for is a less active father and all his unbaptized children. Probably like 3 or 4 of them could be baptized. We are working on them getting there, which they are basically ready, but the dad wants to be the one to perform the baptism. The problem is that he is just not really showing any commitment right now to try and get himself worthy to do so. He said he would be able to come this next Sunday to Church, so we are going to follow up on that.

Well I hope all is great at home. Sounds like things are going well. Love you lots. And know that I feel your love every time I hear from you!

Elder Nitta

No comments:

Post a Comment