Monday, February 10, 2014

A Baptism

Welllllll I'm not quite at the half way mark yet Mother. Haha it's on the 27th. Coming up quick though. 

Hey what is the last name of the person from Orem? My comp is from there. His name is Elder Shute. Oh and by the way, transfers are this Wednesday and both Elder Shute and me are staying in the area. Should be good. I feel that I know the area well enough, but it helps to have someone who has been here a lot longer. 

So we had our baptism this last weekend! He started up so quick. We only started teaching him 4 weeks ago. He had had lessons before so he accepted everything we were saying pretty well. But we are going to make sure he keeps going strong. He lives in an apartment complex with a lot of nonmembers that are family of his. So hopefully we will be able to work with more people through his great example.

One of our members speaks his language, Chuukese, and she was going to speak at the baptism, but her son got sick and she wasn't able to make it. So we had the high priest group leader give the talk on baptism, and the wife of the ward mission leader gave the one on the Holy Ghost. I do have to say that the talk on baptism was a little funny. Brother Hendershot, the high priest group leader, is a little older, and he actually cursed in his talk. Pretty funny, but he meant that we all make mistakes sometimes and we can repent and make progress. The baptismal ordinance (and the confirmation in church) was done by Bishop Ishibashi. Sister missionaries from a different ward came and did the music for us. 

We did go to another baptism the day before. It was the Kea'au ward's baptism. I played the piano for that one. I was actually on exchanges in their area the first day they met the kid that got baptized. He was really sincere and bore his testimony at the baptism, saying that everyone is so nice here and that it feels so much better than at other churches.

In Sacrament meeting, both me and Elder Shute were to give talks on the restoration of the Gospel. Buuuuuuuut I didn't have to, after all. Elder Shute went up and talked. We had a musical number (which I played piano for. The bishop's wife asked the day before if I could play and we found a song online, printed it out, played through it a couple times and then we performed) and then the bishop got up and excused me from speaking in that we were short on time and they wanted to give the high councilman more time to speak. I was kinda sad, because I actually wanted to speak. But oh well. The high councilman's talk went well. It was all about sharing the gospel. We have a new ward mission leader and he is really pushing to get more investigators for the ward to teach. Should be good.

The high councilman that talked actually volunteers down at the Kilauea Volcano State Park. Soooo he took a couple of us missionaries down there to see the volcano this morning It was fun to look at it. We didn't get to get down to lava (you would die of sulfur gas) but we went and hiked down into the caldera of the volcano, basically the outer lip of the "peak." He talked all about everything that we passed. Old Hawaiian legends, facts about the plants, history of the natives and colonizers. I guess he normally does the tour once a week in German for German tourists.  Mom, you should take that tour!

Well I figured out the actually way to say I love you in Hawaiian. I think.... haha anyways it's "Ua aloha au 'ia 'oe" (ooah aloha ow ya oi.... kinda haha) Directly translated it is "To love I to you." 

Well we don't really have any progressing investigators now, but we hope to change that. Hope we can find some prepared people.

Thanks for the support. Let me know about the blessing! 

Ua aloha au 'ia 'oe!


Elder Nitta












Pictures of Kilauea Volcano State Park



No comments:

Post a Comment