Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Mele Kalikimaka

Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka!

Well it's been a crazy week.  As it turns out, I can email today!  All the libraries were closed but the Apple store in the mall is still open for last minute christmas shoppers.  Lucky me!  

This last Tuesday, all of the missionaries on Oahu were interviewed by a Seventy that flew in.  I guess a lot of the missionaries here in Hawaii have been struggling with obedience issues so President Warner had Elder Richards come in and talk to us all.  I had a nice interview.  I know there are things that I could do better, and President challenged me to be an example to all those around me, by being a leader. The Seventy talked to all the missionaries on the island on Friday.  He gave an amazing talk on Faith. Three hours of just talking about what it means to have faith. He talked about how faith is not true faith, if we are not acting because of true desire. We can't act because we feel obligated to by someone else. He talked about how true happiness can only come as we have the Spirit, and that the Spirit can only come as we act in faith, not obligation. He spent a lot of time uplifting and encouraging us. The Mission was kinda half expecting to be chastised for the 3 hours, but he went about it in a truly loving manner. Before the Mission tour, I was able to be a part of the Mission Leader Conference. Normally only the Zone Leaders and Sister Trainers are a part of that, but Elder Richards also invited all of the District Leaders. He talked about how to be a good leader, we must first teach truth by the Spirit, then invite to act in faith, and then minister or to follow up and help the other person improve. Great time being motivated.

The Honolulu Stake had a Christmas Concert this last weekend. The concerts have been going on for 27 years now, with the same guy conducting each year. I want to go ask him sometime how he got to where he was (Orchestra director of the private school). It was Saturday and Sunday nights. They had a full orchestra (with organ and piano), an adult choir, a youth choir, a children's choir and dancers. They performed so much amazing music, a couple of Mack Wilberg arrangements. It was like listening to MoTab.  A lot of the music has been performed by MoTab. I was able to record some of the music they performed like Joy to the World, the Hallelujah Chorus, and All Creatures of our God and King.  The latter was the ending number. They had all the choirs, orchestra, and organ going. I thought the whole building was going to fall down because of how much 'noise' there was. But all in all, it was a great concert. There were so many people. We invited everyone we knew, but I didn't see any of our investigators... There was a section for missionaries and investigators, but some people would just bring their nonmember friends and take the spots so some missionaries didn't have anywhere to sit. I was able to be an usher for both nights. 

We we did have one of our non progressing investigators come to Church this Sunday. He asked one of the missionaries what he needs to do to be baptized. I was super surprised. This was our investigator who is convinced he needs to be married to a Mormon wife before he can be baptized. But from what I hear he has been on the LDS singles websites a lot and traveling a lot around the country. So we might have a miracle soon in our midst. 

It's funny that you might think it's cold here, but I definitely still sweat. The 80s and maybe 70s is where it's at 90% of the year. As far as clothing, I have been just buying things as they wear out. I should be good for a while.

For today and tomorrow, we are having a party as a zone. We all got white elephant gifts. We are going to be playing games and stuff tonight. We do have a baptism to go to though. On Saturday, I was asked if I could do an interview on Sunday morning for the Tongan ward. The Bishop of that Ward told me that these people are ready. The interviews went super quick and he told me I was going to be at the baptism tonight, so I didn't really have a choice. haha I have had a lot of crazy baptisms to be a part of lately.

As far as skyping, once again I will be trying to get on around 10 Hawaii time. I guess I will be trying to use my account and contacting Gavin's. It would be awesome to have Chelsea on too, but I don't know what her time schedule is going to be like.

Well I can't wait to talk to all of you guys tomorrow. Should be fun. If you have any questions email back quick. I'll be on for a little while more.


Elder Nitta

No comments:

Post a Comment